Mount Airy has already seen its fair share of snow and icy weather this winter and with inclement weather comes the unfortunate increase in driving accidents. At Granite City Collisions, safety comes first. We would like to share a few tips for driving in winter weather and common repairs that we can help you fix. Granite City Collisions is here to help fix your fender bender and get your vehicle back on the road.
When icy weather and cold temperatures hit, the biggest fear is black ice because of its reputation for being a leading cause of winter accidents. The best way to prevent winter collisions is to have a solid understanding of how to react if your vehicle begins to slide on icy roads. Here are a few things to keep in mind and how to react if you encounter black ice:
- Beware of areas that are more likely to have black ice – Black ice is present most often in the early mornings and at night because the sun is not hitting the roads and temperatures are lower. Especially beware of shaded areas, bridges, and beneath overpasses.
- Know how to spot black ice – Black ice is transparent and is not easy to spot. It is smart to be cautious when driving around glossy or shiny sheets on the road.
- What to do if you encounter black ice – The most important thing to do is to stay calm. Overreacting will only make it more difficult to regain control of your vehicle. Don’t hit the brakes and try to keep the steering wheel straight.
- Go slow – Do not break. Instead, let the vehicle de-accelerate on its own by removing your foot from the gas pedal.
- Shift into a low gear – A lower gear will give you more control of your vehicle.
- If you skid remain calm – Pump the brakes and turn the steering wheel slowly in the direction you wish to go. If the vehicle’s back end begins to slide, slightly turn the wheel in the direction the vehicle is sliding.
Black ice can be scary and very dangerous but if you know what steps to take when encountering it, you can safely continue down the road. Here at Granite City Collisions we offer a number of services to help handle your repairs fast and stress-free. We provide:
- Collision Repair
- Insurance Claims
- Complete Auto Refinish
- Frame Alignment
- Two & Four Wheel Alignment
- Free Estimates
- Glass Replacement & Repair
- Paintless Dent Removal
- Local Shuttle Service
Stay safe on the roads this winter season and remember to give us a call at Granite City Collisions if your vehicle needs a repair.